It’s time to “fall” back in love with Camp Hawthorn…
Spring is here and it’s the perfect time to unplug and get outdoors (GO!). Girl Scouts of Southeastern Michigan (GSSEM) has the perfect solution for those that want to “be one with nature,” but don’t know where to start. Beginning this Thursday, April 1, GSSEM is virtually inviting you and your girl(s) to Tri Like a Girl. Join as girls across the region challenge themselves to more than 650 miles of hiking, biking, and helping across Southeastern Michigan!
The rules are simple: Organize a team of up to 12 girls and GO! Teams will have two months to complete a total of 328 miles of hiking and 328 miles of biking, as well as several opportunities to help keep our earth clean. Remember this is a girl-only competition, so adults can’t count their miles towards the goal. For those who are unable to find team members, a team will be created for you. Non-Girl Scouts are also encouraged to register!
The journey begins April 1, 2021 at 00:00:01 EST, and will officially end May 31, 2021 at 11:59:59 EST. The competition will conclude with a council-wide service project as part of the Iron Belle Challenge with Michigan Department of Natural Resources on June 6, 2021.
The first team to complete all 656 miles, will win some exclusive outdoor gear for their next adventure.
Here’s where it gets interesting: Teams will also have the chance to earn points throughout the challenge. The three teams with the most points on May 31, will also walk away with some pretty amazing outdoor swag and camping gear. Teams can earn points by competing in social media competitions, attending events, celebrating milestones on social media, and completing their miles.
Social Media Competitions and Events:
- April 22-24 – Earth Day: Complete a mini service project!
- May 15 – National Kids to Parks Day
- Celebrate your favorite park by hiking or biking there! Remember to mention what park you went to and why it’s your favorite.
- June 5 – National Trails Day
- This is the BIG service project! We’ve partnered with the Michigan DNR for the Iron Belle Challenge! More information will be available in May.
- If you and/or your team participates in these events, be sure to share your adventure on social media with GSSEM to earn points—use the hashtag #TriLikeaGS and tag us @GSSEM on all platforms!
There’s no better way to celebrate spring and show everyone that girls can get outside too!
You’re already a force of nature.
Experience the outdoors as GO!
For more information and to register, visit gssem.org/tri. Registration will remain open until May 1.