Girl Scouting often involves taking on a new world of…
Girl Scout Camp is Better than Ever!
No matter the time of year, it’s always a great idea to Get Outdoors (GO!). Girl Scouts are natural-born leaders, who create their own outdoor adventures. GSSEM has made it even easier for girls to get out and explore, with several new updates at Camp Hawthorn Hollow. Check them out!
- Axe Throwing Range – Bullseye! This is a two-lane, caged axe throwing range, located on the back porch of the Whispering Woods Discovery Center. Both axes and hatches are available to throw. While others are throwing, girls can also create works of art with wood-burning and participate in some old-fashioned wood chopping.
- Archery Range – GSSEM is renovating the archery range to include a building to store equipment. There’ll be a brand-new designated waiting/lesson area extended to our BB Gun Range.
- BB Gun Range – Staff are pumped to provide a new and safe BB gun range for campers. They’ll go through special Range Safety Officer training to ensure the safety and reassurance of all campers. Bonus! GSSEM is looking into using biodegradable pellets for this program so it does not have an environmental mark on camp.
- Butterfly Music Garden – Located in the field between the Pavilion and the Villages, the Butterfly Music Garden will consist of outdoor music items for campers to explore and make their own music while at camp. This is a self-led activity that will be a part of camp that anyone can use. It’s going to have a variety of different structures for Troops to enjoy!
- Slingshots – Camp staff will be creating a range for girls and adults to use slingshots to aim at a wide range of targets. Biodegradable materials will be used for this range as well. This is a great first activity to get you involved with shooting sports!
The Axe Throwing Range is set up and ready to go for the upcoming winter season, while other additions will be available Spring 2023. For more information about camp and getting outside with Girl Scouts, visit www.gssem.org/GO.